Wayne Harrison is a former professional player and has been a highly qualified professional coach for many years. He has held the position of Academy Director at Blackpool Professional Football Club in England and at Al Ain Professional Fooatball Club in the UAE.
About Wayne Harrison:
- UEFA Professional “A“ License Coach since 1996
- Professional Player (Blackpool) and Oulu Palloseura (Finland)
- Professional Coach in England and abroad (Finland; United Arab Emirates and USA)
- NSCAA Premier Diploma holder and Staff Coach
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Psychology / Applied Physiology
- Represented Great Britain Soccer team in the World Student Games in Mexico
- Proponent of a revolutionary proven one-touch training program to develop a quick playing and quick thinking mindset in the player and creator of many age group related coaching programs for players and coaches
- Educational Soccer Symposium Clinician for the NSCAA, World Class Coaching, Reed Swain and many State organizations throughout the USA as well as in the UAE and Japan.
- Author of 12 Coaching Books and four DVD’s on Soccer Training plus 28 E Books
- Produced 7 National Championship winning Professional youth teams in 2 years in the UAE 2009 – 2011 as the Director of Coaching for Al Ain Soccer club with his Soccer Awareness coaching program
- The Al Ain Academy as voted the Number One Professional Academy in the United Arab Emirates by the Abu Dhabi Sports Council Consultant Marco Monte of Inter Milan who described it as the closest model to the best European professional club academies. Using Wayne’s Soccer Awareness training model for the Thinking Player developed over many years; plus added the actual “Barcelona” training model from La Mesia for youth development to the program.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
Professional Soccer Player in England, USA and Europe
Extensive first team head coaching experience: 1st team coaching in over 250 senior games over 7 years in England
UEFA “A” Professional Licensed coach July 1996 to 1997
NSCAA Premier Diploma Holder USA July 2009
Soccer Awareness Professional Training Programs (Owner): A developmental Training Company focusing on “pure” teaching and training. Soccer Awareness is now “International” with its first Affiliate club in England using its curriculums who are a feeder club to professional clubs. The goal is to spread the soccer awareness method of teaching across the globe.
NSCAA Staff Coach Education Instructor – July 2009 to Present Teaching Coaching courses to Coaches
Technical Director: Surf Soccer Club; San Diego 2012 to 2014
As well as being their Technical Director he was the DOC to the Boys Program and the Development Academy; as well as the Head Coach for the 16 and 18 Academy teams and was a driving force behind the Surf Affiliate Club and Surf Camp programs. The Boys program “officially” outperformed the Girls program in 2014; in year two of his tenure; and for the first time in 20 years of the clubs existence under Wayne’s Guidance.
Professional Academy Technical Director April 2009 to October 2011
Al Ain Sports & Cultural Club; United Arab Emirates, Middle East.
Coach Education; Player Development and the organization of coaching and training programs for all age groups. Presenting training courses to the coaches.
Administrative: charting the scholastic development of all the players. Included scouting players for the future development of the academy and first team. In charge of 42 full time professional coaching staff.
SEVEN National Champions at Youth Professional Level in the United Arab Emirates in 2 years. The most successful professional academy in the country. 6 Finishing Championship Runners up. Voted the Top Professional Academy in the UAE by Marco Monte of Inter Milan the consultant for the Abu Dhabi Sports Council 2011. Transformed the method of play from primarily individually focused to a 1 and 2 touch team style using the 4-2-3-1 but without losing the individuality of players.
Television Analyst October 2009 to October 2011 – A regular live Television Champions League and English Premier League Analyst on the Abu Dhabi Sports Channels in the United Arab Emirates
Director of Coaching 2000 to 2009 – Eden Prairie Soccer Club, Minnesota; USA. Coach Education; Player Development and player recruitment. Built the club from 36 to 65 teams increasing financial turnover by 100%. Managed 130 coaches and 850 players. Budgeting for training facilities and coaches’ salaries
Associate Head College Coach 2001 to 2004 – Dakota County College for both Mens and Womens teams: Included coaching duties and player development; as well as recruitment of players.
Professional Club Academy Technical Director 1996 to 2000 – Blackpool Professional Soccer Club; England: Coach Education; Player Development and player recruitment plus monitoring each player development and progress in soccer and in school. Budgeting for the academy expenses. Teaching the “C” License for the English Football (Soccer) Association
English Football (Soccer) Assocation County Coaching Director 1996 to 1997 Cumbria; England; Developing coaching courses for coaches throughout the county of Cumbria. Coaching in schools.
Semi Professional Men’s teams – 1st Team Head Coach: Accrington Stanley Football Club 1997 – 1st Team Head Coach: Bamber Bridge Football Club 1995 to 1997 – 1st Team Head Coach Workington Reds Football Club 1994 to 1995
Coach Education Instructor
- Presented several clinics at the Minnesota Youth Soccer Association Symposiums
- State, Regional and National educational coaching development in the USA.
- Educational Soccer Clinician for the NSCAA, World Class Coaching, Reed Swain and several State Organizations throughout the USA.
- Educational DVD clinic presentation at the NSCAA Convention 2007: Awareness training: Developing the Thinking Player (purchased on the NSCAA Website) plus two DVDs on 4-2-3-1
- Proponent of a revolutionary proven one-touch training program to develop a quick playing and quickthinking mindset in the player
- Creator of many age group related coaching programs for players and coaches.
- Presented at the NSCAA National Convention January 2012: Coaching the 4-2-3-1
- Presented at the NSCAA National Convention January 2015: Dynamic Games to teach Movement OFF and AWAY from the ball
Professional Playing History
- Carlisle United Football Club 1987 to 1989
- Workington Red Football Club: 1st Team Head Coach and Player 1984 to 1987
- Oulu Palloseura Football Club (Finland) 1983 to 1984
- Blackpool Football Club 1978 to 1983
- Great Britain Students / Universities: 1979
- *Representing England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales: World Student Games in Mexico
- Sheffield Wednesday Football Club 1976 to 1978
- Everton Youth 1973 to 1976
Numerous articles published for the NSCAA Soccer Journal; Insight Magazine: English Football Association; Soccer-Rom; Reed Swain; World Class Coaching Magazine; and USA State Associations
Author of 14 soccer education coaching books
- “Recognizing the Moment to Play” (A Best seller in the English F.A. Catalogue) 2002
- „The Art of Defending: 1 v 1 Through 8 v 8” (Number TWO in Reed Swain Top Ten) 2003
- „The Art of Defending: Phase Plays and 11 v 11” (Number SEVEN in Reed-swain Top Ten)
- “Game Situation Training for Soccer” (Number ONE in Reed-swain Top Ten) 2005 (Also first ever in Arabic.)
- “A Full Season Training Program for U14”. 2007
- “A Full Season Training Program for U12”. 2007
- “The Attacking Roles and Responsibilities of Players in a 4-4-2” (a BEST Seller) 2008
- “The Defensive Roles and Responsibilities of Players in a 4-4-2” (A BEST Seller) 2008
- “Soccer Awareness: Developing the Thinking Player” (Published January 2010).
- “Coaching The 4-2-3-1” Published November 2011: The first book ever published solely on this system of play; currently the most popular in the professional game
- Arabic version of Game Situation Training for Soccer 2012
- Striker Movement and finishing techniques (Published June 2015)
- Coaching the FLEX 1-3-3-1-3: 2015
Also various videos and 32 eBooks
Latest eBook being “Tactical development of the 4v4,7v7 and 9v9 game sizes (407 pages)
Achievements at AL AIN Sports and Cultural Club; UAE
Seven National Championship winning youth age group teams at Al Ain Professional Soccer Club, UAE, Middle East; under my Awareness Training Programs. Also beating teams such as Inter Milan, Valencia, Atletico Madrid and Raja of Morocco in tournaments at U15 and U16 to highlight the level of play.
- Thirteen players promoted to the first team from the academy 2009-2010
- Voted the number One Professional Academy in the UAE by the Abu Dhabi Sports Council via my presentation on academy organization and development of all the professional clubs in the UAE. Evaluated by a Consultant, Marco Monte from Inter Milan, Italy.
- Al Ain youth results were the most successful Professional academy in the UAE in both years (2009-2011) National Championship winners in 7 age groups.
- Thirty eight players playing Internationally at 5 age groups
- Created and presented In – House Coach Education and development courses December 2010 and February 2011
- Represented the Abu Dhabi Sports Council as a deligate in Tokyo; Japan at the Japanese F.A.